Regional Coordinators for Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao
The Regional Coordinators will be the main liaison between the BFFP Philippines team and local partners based in the 3 main regions: Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. You will support the project’s overall goals and translate these locally by working closely with local partners and collaborators. The regional coordinators will ensure that local initiatives are connected to national efforts and vice versa, and are supported, monitored and documented.
These positions will report to the BFFP Philippines coordinator.
As a Regional Coordinator, you are:
- A global and local thinker: You are able to understand and articulate the connection between global and local issues related to plastic pollution, appreciate the importance of supporting and linking local efforts to strengthen the global campaign against plastic pollution, and educate the general public about these connections.
- Highly-skilled in coordination and local organizing: You are a true believer in the power of frontline and grassroots communities, and in elevating their voices to contribute to the global discourse against plastic pollution. You work well with local leaders and members of the community, and understand the intricacies of working with local communities and local governments.
- Committed to environmental justice values and principles: You believe that communities have the ability to speak for themselves and that they should have the opportunity and platform to do so.
- Skilled in local policy and campaign work: You know the ins and outs of influencing and passing policy at the local level, and know how to push but also respect local processes and cultures without losing sight of the urgency of your project’s goals and objectives.
- Skilled in building and managing relationships: You love working with people from different backgrounds, and like nurturing and building relationships and partnerships. You are able to resolve conflict respectfully, and are highly-skilled in building consensus.
- A highly-skilled researcher and investigator: You are experienced in gathering factual information quietly and quickly to aid campaign goals, and know how and where to extract information. You don’t wait for instructions and take initiative to make sure that you always have updated information.
As a Regional Coordinator, you will:
- Serve as the liaison between the BFFP Philippines team based in Quezon City and local partners in your region;
- Monitor crucial policy and local developments related to plastics, incineration and waste dumping and ensure that these are immediately relayed to the BFFP team, countered and documented, and vice-versa;
- Provide support to frontline and grassroots communities facing threats from plastic pollution, incineration and waste dumping by organizing and participating in community, media and other events related to these issues, and representing BFFP PH and No Burn Pilipinas in the same;
- Translate documents into the local language whenever necessary, and create original content related to plastics, incineration and waste to advance these issues locally;
- Elevate public discourse on issues related to plastic pollution, incineration and waste dumping, and engage with the public through social media and/or traditional media; and
- Build and nurture relationships with communities, government agencies and offices, private sector and other stakeholders who are all important partners in stopping the tide of plastic pollution and incineration threats.
- At least two (2) years of successful experience in a coordination and/or campaigning role with a community-based organization, people’s movement organization, environmental organization, or development organization;
- Passionate about environmental justice issues and committed to elevating the power of grassroots communities to create social change;
- Skilled in building relationships and collaborating with frontline communities, grassroots groups, people organizations and local governments;
- Experienced in working with local governments and different government agencies.
- Highly-skilled in leading and implementing campaigns that involve multiple stakeholders, with the ability to build and highlight local leadership;
- Computer literate and comfortable with new media technologies and extensive use of online communication;
- Good public speaking skills and experienced in giving media interviews or engaging with members of the media;
- Good writing skills and experienced in creating reports and documentation; and
- Willing to travel with some regularity, particularly to Quezon City.
- Knowledge of climate, incineration, waste and plastic issues; and
- Knowledge of local media landscape, with good network of media contacts.
This position will be based in Quezon City for Luzon; Cebu City for Visayas; and Davao City for Mindanao, Philippines.
Please send your updated resume and cover letter with your salary requirements and 3 references, along with at least 2 writing samples to email@example.com with the subject line “POSITION YOU’RE APPLYING FOR – (YOUR NAME).”
No calls, please. Deadline of submission is on February 21, 2020.