Philippines No Burn Campaigner
The BFFP No Burn Campaigner will be primarily responsible for coordinating the No Burn Pilipinas (NBP) campaign and network, which is a national network composed of 78 organizations nationwide. As the chief firefighter, you will lead efforts to protect the first and only national incineration ban in the world; expose false solutions such as “waste-to-energy” technologies; shift perception about the perceived benefits of incineration; generate popular materials to inform the public and government about the real effects of incineration; and work with frontline communities and organizations in protecting public health and the environment from the toxic and climate-changing effects of burning garbage.
This post reports to the BFFP national coordinator, and works closely with the members of the No Burn network.
As the No Burn campaigner, you are:
- Tenacious and determined: Your north star is the protection of public health and the environment. You are confident about building and presenting arguments that are fact-based and science-based, and can hold your own in a high-level discourse and engage successfully with professionals from other fields.
- Committed to environmental justice values and principles: You truly believe that no community is disposable, and that everyone deserves the right to live and thrive in a toxic-free and pollution-free environment.
- Highly-skilled in campaign, advocacy and policy work: You have demonstrable experience in managing difficult campaigns and ensuring its delivery to a successful end. You are also experienced in navigating and influencing the challenging world of policy lobbying. You do not overlook small details that may be important, but never lose sight of your larger goals.
- Skilled in coordination and managing relationships: You love working with people from different backgrounds, and like nurturing and building relationships and partnerships. You are able to appreciate the different skills and expertise that people can bring to the table, and are able to leverage these respectfully and collaboratively.
- Quick-thinking and solutions-centric: You are able to make decisions quickly and confidently. You don’t dwell on challenges and obstacles, rather you are able to quickly see solutions and ways to overcome problems.
As the No Burn campaigner, you will:
- Coordinate the No Burn campaign and network, and ensure that relationships with key partners and allies are maintained, nurtured and managed well;
- Expand the No Burn network to include other partners and allies to protect communities from incineration threats;
- Monitor crucial policy developments related to incineration in Congress, Senate and DENR and related agencies, and ensure that these are immediately relayed to the network, countered and documented;
- Protect the national incineration ban by ensuring that policies aiming to amend or circumvent the ban are thwarted and exposed;
- Represent BFFP Philippines and No Burn Pilipinas in meetings, hearings, technical working groups and related activities organized for the purpose of discussing incineration-related matters;
- Document local developments related to incineration and maintain a database of incineration-related projects;
- Provide support to frontline and grassroots communities facing incinerator threats;
- Provide leadership in legal processes undertaken by NBP to protect the incineration ban, and support for future legal processes necessary to stop the advance of incineration in the Philippines; and
- Develop and popularize fact- and science-based information, materials, publications and statements to debunk incinerator myths and expose the true costs of investing in incineration technologies.
- At least three (3) years of successful experience in a coordination and campaigning capacity with a community-based organization, a people’s movement organization, environmental justice organization, or environmental organization;
- A passion for environmental justice, grassroots social change, and in building relationships and collaboration with frontline communities, grassroots groups and other organizations;
- Highly-skilled in leading and implementing campaigns that are multi-faceted, decentralized, and involve multiple players and stakeholders from different backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience in and knowledge of climate and energy policy campaigns;
- Highly computer literate and comfortable with new media technologies and extensive use of online communication;
- Fluent in English, with excellent public speaking skills and some experience in giving media interviews or engaging with members of the media;
- Excellent writing skills, with demonstrated experience in translating technical information into simple and relatable materials that are easily understood; and
- Willing to travel with some regularity.
- Knowledge of Zero Waste, incineration, waste management and/or plastics issues;
- Experience with rapid response campaigning and ability to respond quickly and strategically to new developments;
- Knowledge of political and financial institutions that are able to influence local policies, with a particular focus on how to influence entities involved in infrastructure development (and especially waste and energy projects);
- Strong research skills; and
- Fluent in another Filipino language (not including Tagalog).
Please send your updated resume and cover letter with your salary requirements and 3 references, along with at least 3 writing samples and references/links to campaigns or projects you’ve led, to email@example.com with the subject line “POSITION YOU’RE APPLYING FOR – (YOUR NAME).”
No calls, please. Deadline of submission is on February 21, 2020.