The Communications Officer will lead in developing and implementing BFFP Philippines’ communications strategies. As the communications officer, you will develop, distribute and manage media content; manage media relations and all related media activities; assist your team in developing materials specifically tailored to their campaign goals and needs; ensure that all communication materials issued are consistent with BFFP branding and guidelines, and manage tools and platforms needed to help BFFP Philippines achieve key goals and objectives.
This post reports to the National Coordinator and works closely with the BFFP Asia Pacific Communications Officer.
As the Communications Officer, you are:
- Highly-skilled in developing and implementing communication strategies: You are an expert in crafting the strategies needed to successfully communicate your mission and goals, and you are skilled in providing leadership to ensure that your team understands, contributes to and embraces these strategies and the process necessary to develop them.
- An excellent writer: You are able to create compelling and original content, distill complex information to easily-understood and relatable information, and convince your readers with the power of your words.
- Highly-knowledgeable about the media landscape in the Philippines: You have an excellent network of media contacts, and are experienced in working with media professionals to advance and popularize your campaigns. You are familiar with media routines, can analyze and monitor media opportunities and trends, and are able to expertly advise your team about different hooks and opportunities to keep your issues front and center.
- Disciplined, organized and productive: You are an expert in producing content when a red-hot opportunity arises. You know how to prioritize and not easily get overwhelmed by multiple deadlines with moving targets. You have a knack for organization and are experienced in archiving and managing content and different materials that can be easily accessed and pulled out when needed.
As the Communications Officer, you will:
- Develop and implement program and communication strategies and work closely with the BFFP Philippines Coordinator and the BFFP Asia Pacific Communications Officer. You will produce effective and high-impact content by proactively identifying opportunities within program and/or campaign plans;
- Manage media relations, provide media-related counsel and direction to BFFP Philippines team, and ensure high quality media outreach (proactive and reactive) aligned with developed communications strategies and BFFP’s internal brand guidelines and network agreements;
- Develop, maintain and continuously update a database of media contacts in print, radio, TV, web news, and other media outlets;
- Perform regular media monitoring and analysis and advise the BFFP Philippines team on relevant news items and news hooks;
- Create, distribute and monitor communication materials such as press releases, external and internal QAs, talking points, briefing papers, reports, photos and videos, social media content and other campaign and materials. You will ensure that these materials are coordinated properly with relevant team members and get proper sign-off before distribution; and
- Maintain BFFP Philippines’ communications resources platform including the archiving of all visual, print and other communications materials.
- At least three (3) years of experience in developing and implementing communication strategies, and in media relations work;
- A strong understanding and knowledge of Philippines media as well as key local and Asia Pacific media markets;
- Highly-collaborative team‐player with strong interpersonal communication skills and demonstrated experience in working with people from different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds;
- Demonstrated capacity for issue analysis, and strong writing and public speaking skills including advanced skills in communicating complex issues to the public;
- Highly computer literate, and experienced with digital media technologies and social media campaigning;
- Highly-skilled in using social media to popularize and promote issues;
- Fluent in written and verbal English;
- Demonstrated ability to turn projects around in a timely manner, maintain attention to detail, and adhere to deadlines;
- Flexibility in working with international staff, including regular calls outside of regular work hours; and
- Willing to travel when necessary.
- Understanding of social and environmental justice, and a commitment to implement communications strategies that support and create space for communities to speak for themselves;
- Experience with grassroots organizing, network and movement building; and
- Website content management.
Please send your updated resume and cover letter with your salary requirements and 3 references, along with at least 3 writing samples to email@example.com with the subject line “POSITION YOU’RE APPLYING FOR – (YOUR NAME).”
No calls, please. Deadline of submission is on February 21, 2020.